So i took the job in California for an experience: I had never lived by the sea... wanted to experience the year and the seasons and the moods of the water. That desire drove a lot of my choices, even the route i took to work in the morning (a jog a few blocks over had me drive by the shore... even on gym days it was magical)
I chose to pay a premium for a rental that was walking distance from the beach (no, i couldn't afford a beach-front rental! and when the tsunami warnings were posted i was glad of that! LOL)
Pacific Grove (nicknamed PG by the locals) turned into a wonderful idyllic place for me to be for the two years that i was there. My house was easy walking distance from everything except work (post office, laundry, grocery store, library, fabric store, book stores, other shopping if i wanted, and the beach!) It was in every sense a community, with parades down the main street and a weekly newspaper that could list ALL the police activities (and some weeks it was no more serious than a lost wallet or a found cell phone).
As far as experiences go, it was wonderful. And forever sold me on the concept of a walkable community and lifestyle. I tended to drive on the weekend anyway -- to wander farther afield and shop at Trader Joe's -- but it was wonderful to know that i would have been able to park the truck and still have a wonderful vibrant lifestyle. Some laughed at PG, calling it Pacific Grave... it didn't have any night clubs and very few fast food restaurants... but for me, that was part of it's charm!
Thank you for the photos! I wish I'd been able to visit you while you were there - it looks like a wonderful place!!! ~Sarah
ReplyDelete