Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Traveling, because i love it and i can!

I've been telling the oncologist i wanted a trip after this series of chemo...

something to look forward to...  and new visual sights... and celebrating being alive... would have settled for something close/simple if that was what i needed to do, but thankfully i get to go much farther afield!

I'm working with my sister Kelly to put together a trip in Australia!  [perhaps more accurately... i am flying there and Kelly is doing all the leg work to put together an adventure for us in her homeland] i had originally wanted to go to New Zealand, but freezing rain didn't seem like a fun thing to drive/hike in... so i will have to keep that on the list for a different season of the year!


Uluru (Ayer's Rock) -- the image i always associate with Oz
So i have gotten a bit weird about zoos -- i think they provide a wonderful chance to see animals up close, especially for children... but they also make me sad, especially if the animals look lonely/bored/unhappy...  but when Kelly asked me if i wanted to spend extra for a waterfront view in Sydney i said "ONLY IF...."
glamping at the sydney zoo!
We plan some shore time @ the lower end of the Great Barrier Reef -- even though i am likely to remain sun-sensitive from the chemo... i am sure that i will treasure the time early and late and then be lazy in the shade when the sun is high!
heron island

We are trying to not over-book ourselves with too much since i get tired, yet put enough fun in to make memories for both of us...  I have had a list a mile long of things i thought would be fun in Oz... expect i'd need a year to accomplish them all, so this will just be the highlights of the continent!


 
blue mountains

I can't wait!  message me early if you want a postcard LOL

2 comments:

  1. I am SO glad, and can't wait for this wonderful adventure of yours (since I seem to enjoy travel vicariously through you.) :) You can save NZ for when I live there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about zoos but I always found them to be much more humane at home. Look for wildlife sanctuaries vs zoos if possible. We had a great one on the Gold Coast and Dubbo had another good one. We can chat about it.

    ReplyDelete